Some wild plants could threaten hikers and amateur foragers, and other common flora could threaten your children, pets and farm animals.
Over the millennia, people have learned through trial and error which plants are good to eat and which are best to avoid. In our modern, urban world, much of that cultural knowledge has been forgotten.
Many gardeners may be surprised to discover that they are growing some of the world’s deadliest plants in their own backyards.
Please read the lady’s account below with caution because it warns us against something that isn’t so well known yet.
[woman starts her story here]
My son died because he put a piece of leaf in his mouth and tongue and these swelled to suffocate. This plant is very common in many homes and offices.
It is poisonous and sometimes deadly, to the point of killing a child in 1 minute and an adult in 15 minutes. If you touch it by chance, you should never bring your fingers to your eyes, as this could cause permanent blindness. Warn your friends and family.
Thus began a chain to share information to protect all people from this plant that could cost a life.
It all started when the little Esteban 5 years old playing, notice child to his mother that he felt bad and she thought it was just indigestion or fatigue of these common. But he began to worry when he saw that his son was starting to have a strange color on his skin and great difficulty in breathing.
He quickly called the ambulance, which transferred him to the hospital and where they ordered a blood test. The results revealed a large dose of a chemical called calcium oxalate.
The chemical is found in a plant known as Diefenbaker or better known in countries of Latin America as Amoena, which is a very common thing in our own them. According to Wikipedia:
The cells of the Dieffenbachia plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals called raphid
es. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. In rare cases, edema of tissues exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms. With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling. However, these effects are rarely life-threatening. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents, antihistamines, or medical charcoal. Gastric evacuation or lavage is “seldom” indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.
People who have it indoors since it has great resistance/hardness to be in the shade without the need for sunlight, either at home or in offices, but one should be especially careful especially with children by Its high rate of poisoning if it is to be consumed.
Data from 2006 in the United States, which registered 64,250 cases of poisoning with plants, of which 75% were children under five years.
If someone suffered a poisoning Diefenbaker, the National Library of Medicine of the United States recommends that you clean the mouth with a cold, wet cloth, rinse your eyes if any contact with the plant had and gave to ingest milk. Then consult a care center.
What produces this plant is very dangerous for life because it causes death. Do not forget to share so that everyone will know about this plant and the dangers they can cause.